MASTER COURSE IN PARAMETRIC DESIGN HYBRID EDITION - 350H
XVI Edition. Autumn 2022.
A unique study program adapted to this new situation and challenging word. This master course is the hybrid and flexible version of our Master in Parametric Design On-site, with XIII successful editions. It is the chance to introduce you in the world of Computational Design, state-of-the-art field for Product Design, Architecture, Landscape, Engineering, Digital Fabrication… through the creation of physical and digital parametric models using as main tools Grasshopper for Rhino and our CNC machines (Computer Numerical Control).
Grasshopper is a free graphical algorithm editor tightly integrated with Rhino’s 3-D modeling tools. Unlike RhinoScript, Grasshopper requires no knowledge of programming or scripting, but still allows designers to build form generators from the simple to the awe-inspiring. It is used at most famous architecture offices like Zaha Hadid or Norman Foster, as engineering teams as the one of Sagrada Familia (Barcelona), one of the most technological advanced buildings in the world. We will have the best available tutors and instructors for every unit, all of them with university teaching experience.
Aimed to professionals and students from the world of architecture, industrial / car / product / structural / engineering design…. and anyone interested in learning and using of parametric tools
The course is divided in two parts:
PART I ON-line, 226 hours (followed on-line through live sessions)
- _UNIT 1: NURBS – RHINO3d
- _UNIT 2: GRASSHOPPER basics
- _UNIT 3: GRASSHOPPER advanced (for organic design, structural analysis and form-finding)
- _UNIT 4: PYTHON for RHINO and GRASSHOPPER (introduction to the most popular programming language)
- _UNIT 5: VISUALIZATION
- _UNIT 6: PERSONAL PROJECT (individual work based on the previous units)
PART II DIGITAL FABRICATION ON-site / On-line* , 124 hours (at Controlmad, or if you can´t, available On-line)
- _UNIT A: 3D PRINTING
- _UNIT B: LASER CNC
- _UNIT C: MILLING CNC
- _UNIT D: PERSONAL PROJECT (individual work based on the previous units)
* Important: PART II is optional to take. It will be at Controlmad center, but if it is not possible for you, it is available On-line too
(see .pdf program for more details)
The full course includes:
- _350 hours training (Training languaje: English)
- _Visits to Digital Fabrication centers, like Fundición Capa (Madrid) or Nagami (Ávila)
- _Option to purchase a license of Rhino student version, (for Mac and Windows, much cheaper but same as professional one and it does not expire)
- _Basic material for prototyping (MDF, Foam, etc. and PLA, ABS for the 3D printers).
At the end of the course the student will be awarded a diploma certifying the course attendance and completion of main tasks, plug-ins and add-ons taught. This diploma is certified by Controlmad, ARTC and Official Rhino FabStudio (Spain), and Rhino FabStudio (McNeel Miami).
PART I: Certificate of Master course in Parametric Design
FULL COURSE: Certificate of Master course in Parametric Design and Digital Fabrication.
INSTRUCTORS, LECTURERS AND VISITS
- _Sergio Alonso del Campo, Controlmad (Spain)
- _Diego García Cuevas, co-author of the book Advanced 3D printing with Grasshopper – Controlmad (Spain)
- _Arturo Tedeschi. Form-finding expert. Author of the book AAD. A>T Office (Milan, Italy)
- _Matthew Tam / Adam Orlinski. Structural analysis experts. Karamba Developers. (Vienna, Austria)
- _Heba Eiz, Assistant researcher group CODE, Zaha Hadid, (London, UK)
- _Andrés González. Mc Neel Miami. RhinoFabStudio world-wide director (Miami, USA)
- _Gianluca Plugiese, WASP Iberia (Madrid, Spain)
- _Aman Agrawal, Creative Mutation (India)
- _Francisco Perez. Python. Politechnical School of Madrid UPM (Madrid, Spain)
- _Visits to Fundición Capa (Madrid) or Nagami (Ávila); to be confirmed.
Instruction Language > English
Dates PART I – ON-line > November 2, 2022 – January 12, 2023
Dates PART II – ON-site at Controlmad / ON-line > January 16 – February 9, 2023
Minimum number of students : 7
Lectures are taken in the afternoon from Monday to Thursday. Morning time should be devoted to personal student’s work based on what instructors have taught during the morning.
- Live sessions and tutor support PART I | 4 – 8 pm (Madrid, CEST)
- Lectures and tutor support PART II | 3 – 8 pm (Madrid, CEST)
- Personal student´s work time PART II (On-site) | 11,30am – 2,30pm
COVID-19 Information for PART II ON-site
Course will happen with all sanitary measures required by the Authorities in order to guarantee your safety. A protocol to follow will be provided before the starting date of the course.
PART I – ON-line 2300 eur.
Early bird 1950 eur
FULL COURSE (PART I ON-line and PART II ON-site / ON-line) 3500 eur.
Early bird 2990 eur
LAST SPOT AVAILABLE WITH EARLY BIRD!
You may book a spot with a deposit of 800 eur and complete the payment during the next 30 days.
Please download and read this registration file for further information
> Bank transfer. Please, click above button “How to register” for detailed information
> Credit – Debit Card (Secure e-commerce platform Redsys – Stripe)
> Paypal* using your account or with credit-debit card (Paypal taxes included)
(*) Paypal option is only to make the reservation. If you need to make the full payment with Paypal please contact us. Paypal additional management fees are charged, not included in the enrollment fee.
Do I need previous knowledge of Grasshopper to take the course?
Absolutely not. Basic previous CAD experience (Autocad, Sketchup..) is recommended but you don´t need to know Rhino and/or Grasshopper.
Are sessions recorded?
Sessions are live. To follow the course properly, you should attend. However, if it is not possible due to your time zone or job/study schedule, we will record the sessions, available until Monday of next week.
Can I enrol in PART I first, and enroll in PART II later on?
Yes, if there are spots available. You would need to pay the difference of the PART I fee and the full registration fee currently shown at the web page.
Can I enroll at PART I now and participate in PART II ON-site for next edition?
We do recommend to make the full course together in order to finish your training. (remember PART II is possible to do it ON-line too). Usually, ON-site training is full and limited seats are available.
FAQ for PART II ON-site
Looking for accomodation?
Upon registration, we will provide information regarding accomodation, best areas to stay… You can join into a private group of former students that might share information about it. Also, we have an agreement with a local company specialized in helping you to find a place to stay.
Problems with travel restrictions
In case of Force Majeur situations (i.e. it is not allowed to leave your country or go to Spain, like Covid-19 situation), it has to be proven with an official website, document or paper that justifies the reason.
In that case, Controlmad will give you access to lectures and exercises on-line and check the digital fabrication process with a feedback of the results, including assembling. Besides, the objects may be manufactured with that files on your nearest FabLab (not part of the course fee).
Do you need a visa?
It should not be a problem as the length of the PART II is less than one month. However, for Non-EU citizens we do strongly recommend to contact the Spanish Embassy and start as soon as possible the paperwork. It may take time depending on each country. Controlmad will provide you all neccesary documents needed to get the visa (letter of invitation, payment invoice…).
We´ve had students from 35 countries: Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, France, Germany, Guatemala, Hungary, Iran, Italy, Kuwait, Latvia, Mexico, Morocco, Portugal, Panama, Peru, Nigeria, Phillipines, India, Russia, Singapur, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, UK, U.S.A. and Venezuela.